UPSC (CIVIL SERVICES)
The Civil Services Examination (CSE) is a nationwide competitive examination in India conducted by the Union Public Service Commission for recruitment to various Civil Services of the Government of India, including the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS), Indian Police Service (IPS) among others. It is conducted in two phases – a preliminary examination consisting of two objective type papers (General Studies Paper I and General Studies Paper II also popularly known as Civil Service Aptitude Test or CSAT), and a main examination consisting of nine papers of conventional (essay) type, followed by a personality test (interview). Civil Services Exam is conducted every year by UPSC. Civil Services are considered as among the most prestigious services-diverse and challenging.
They are of two types :
• All India Services
• Central Services
All India Services
1. Indian Administrative Service (IAS)
2. Indian Foreign Service (IFS)
3. Indian Police Service (IPS)
Civil Services Examination is conducted by UPSC for recruitment to the Services and Posts mentioned below :
(i) Indian Administrative Service. (ii) Indian Foreign Service. (iii) Indian Police Service. (iv) Indian P & T Accounts & Finance Service, Group ‘A’. (v) Indian Audit and Accounts Service, Group ‘A’. (vi) Indian Revenue Service (Customs and Central Excise), Group ‘A’. (vii) Indian Defence Accounts Service, Group ‘A’. (viii) Indian Revenue Service (I.T.), Group ‘A’. (ix) Indian Ordnance Factories Service, Group ‘A’ ( Assistant Works Manager , Administration). (x) Indian Postal Service, Group ‘A’. (xi) Indian Civil Accounts Service, Group ‘A’. (xii) Indian Railway Traffic Service, Group ‘A’. (xiii) Indian Railway Accounts Service, Group ‘A’. (xiv) Indian Railway Personnel Service, Group ‘A’. (xv) Post of Assistant Security Commissioner in Railway Protection Force, Group ‘A’. (xvi) Indian Defence Estates Service, Group’A’. (xvii) Indian Information Service (Junior Grade), Group ‘A’. (xviii) Indian Trade Service, Group ‘A’ (Gr. III). (xix) Indian Corporate Law Service, Group “A”. (xx) Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service, Group ‘B’ (Section Officer’s Grade). (xxi) Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Civil Service, Group ‘B’. (xxii) Delhi, Andaman & Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu and Dadra & Nagar Haveli Police Service, Group ‘B’. (xxiii)Pondicherry Civil Service, Group ‘B’. (xxiv) Pondicherry Police Service, Group ‘B’.
Minimum Educational Qualifications :
The candidate must hold a degree of any of Universities incorporated by an Act of the Central or State Legislature in India or other educational institutions established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as a University Under Section-3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956, or possess an equivalent qualification.
Age limit: 21-32 Years
Relaxation in Age Limit:-
• Upper age limit relaxable in following cases:
• Maximum 5 years for SC/ST candidates
• Maximum 3 years for OBC candidates not belonging to creamy layer
• Maximum 5 years for candidates domiciled in J&K from 1980 onwards
• Maximum 3 years for Defence Services Personnel disabled in operations.
• Maximum 5 years for ex serviceman including commissioned officers who have rendered at least 5 years of military service.
• Maximum 10 years in case of blind, deaf, mute and orthopedically handicapped persons.
• Provision of cumulative age relaxation.
Number of Attempts:-
• General Candidates – 6 attempts
• OBC Candidates – 9 attempts
• SC/ST Candidates – no restriction on number of attempts provided he/she is still under the age limit.
• Physically handicapped: same as other candidate of his/her community but 7 attempts if they are from general category.
The Examination comprises of three stages:
• Preliminary Examination /CSAT
• Mains Examination
• Interview/ Personality Test
Paper – I
Number of Qu./Marks
Paper – II
Number of Qu./Marks
2 hours each paper
IAS Mains Examination
Subject / Paper
Paper – I
Paper – II
General Studies-I (Indian Heritage and culture, History and Geography of the World and Society)
Paper – III
General Studies-II (Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations)
Paper – IV
General Studies-III (Technology, Economic Development, Bio-diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management)
Paper – V
General Studies-IV (Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude)
Paper – VI
Optional Subject – Paper 1
Paper – VII
Optional Subject – Paper 2
Sub Total (Written test)
For details refer www.upsc.gov.in